Documenting Cinema: Film Librarians Conference 2019
May 15 – 17, 2019
Linwood Dunn Theater
Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study, Hollywood, CA
Call for Proposals and Travel Grant Applications
The 2019 Film Librarians Conference will build on the discussions and dialogues begun in 2017, providing a continuing forum to explore contemporary debates and exchange ideas and strategies amongst librarians, curators, and archivists who maintain and administer paper-based, motion picture-related collections, as well as students enrolled in related graduate programs. The conference will explore a diverse range of topics and foster a stimulating environment for specialists from various institutions and disciplines. Our upcoming event will be held at the Linwood Dunn Theater at the Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study in Hollywood, CA on May 15 to 17, 2019. The Film Librarians Conference is organized by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences’ Margaret Herrick Library.
Call for Proposals
The conference committee is now welcoming papers and in particular pre-formed panel proposals on the following themes:
- Workflows and bottlenecks
- Taxonomies and cataloging issues
- Preservation of material objects and digital media
- Staffing issues, including training, education, and professional development
- Training, education, and learning
- Cooperative partnerships for digitization and archiving
- Managing change in the digital age
- Models for digital archiving and long-term preservation
- Managing privacy rights for digital information
- Migration of digital content
- Storage solutions, for analog and digital objects
- Turning archives into assets
- Managing databases and large data sets
- Gifts, donations, and collection development
- Issues in acquisitions, digital and analog
Proposals of 400 words for papers, panels, or workshops must be uploaded to our Call for Proposals page no later than January 4, 2019. Please note that conference proceedings will be photographically documented and recorded. Proposal submission assumes your permission to be documented.
Up to eight travel grants will be awarded to cover registration and reimbursement for the cost of travel from the awardee’s place of residence to Los Angeles to attend the conference. Applicants from both the US and abroad must complete an online application available at the Travel Grants page by January 4, 2019.
More details to come. Conference registration opens February 1, 2019. We look forward to seeing you all next year!
Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Margaret Herrick Library
333 S. La Cienega Boulevard • Beverly Hills, CA 90211
310.247.3000 x2924 • email@example.com